APIEM & STP Bali CONFERENCE PROPOSAL
THE 1ST ASIA PACIFIC EVENTS MANAGEMENT
STATE OF THE ART RESEARCH CONFERENCE
1. Conference Aims
Over the last 10 years events/MICE management has emerged as a new academic subject discipline that is included in the curricula of universities, polytechnics and colleges throughout Asia Pacific. To support the teaching of events/MICE management faculty are required and encouraged to undertake research to develop further the body of knowledge in this emerging subject discipline.
This conference will provide an opportunity for scholars and industry professionals to meet, to share their contemporary research findings and to have their papers published. The `state of the art` research that will be the focus of this conference will contribute to the emerging body of knowledge on the events/MICE industry, its development and management in Asia Pacific.
The aims of this international, scientific, research conference are to provide a forum for scholars and industry professionals to:
share their contemporary research findings with peers and to examine the importance of these research findings for the management and development of the events/MICE industry in Asia Pacific
create an opportunity for critical discussion of the key contemporary issues and themes that emerge from the research papers
enable delegates to network and establish academic, industry and research collaborations of mutual interest and benefit
publish contemporary knowledge in the events/MICE management subject discipline so that it can be used to inform the development and content of events/MICE management undergraduate and postgraduate degree programs of the future
Through this conference delegates will examine the current `state of the art` research that is being undertaken in Asia Pacific within the subject discipline of events/MICE management and will be given insights into developments in:
events/MICE management theory
events/MICE management research methods
events/MICE management empirical case studies
2. Conference Themes
Conference papers on the following themes will be welcomed for review by the scientific committee:
Arts and cultural events
Corporate and business events
Designing creative events
Destination management of events/MICE
Development of the events/MICE industry
Economic, social and environmental impacts of events
Entertainment events, music, performances and shows
Events managers and entrepreneurship
Events planning and production
Events policy from a government perspective – local, regional or national
Event project management
Family events, funerals, parties and weddings
Human resource management for events/MICE
Incentive travel and destination development
Lessons and legacies of mega-events
Meetings, conferences and exhibitions
Political events, inauguration ceremonies, military events and protests
Religious celebrations, ceremonies and events
Sports events, regionally, nationally and internationally
Strategic planning for the events/MICE industry
Sustainability of events
Volunteers and events/MICE management
3. Scientific Committee
The conference scientific committee will be chaired by Professor Dr Karen Fernandez (VP IMUS, Philippines & VP APIEM). Reviewers for the scientific committee will be drawn from the APIEM Journal Editorial Board and from STP Bali.
4. Conference Publications
The APIEM Journal will publish a selection of conference papers either as one, or potentially more special editions – depending on the themes of the papers and their quality.
In addition, subject to the quality of the papers it may also be that a wider selection of papers are published as a text book.
5. Submission of Manuscripts
Paper presenters will submit their manuscripts by electronic format to the scientific committee for review. The APIEM Journal website can be adapted for this purpose.
6. Who Should Attend
The following delegates will find the conference of benefit:
Academic researchers and faculty/lecturers who research and teach in the fields of events management, MICE, hospitality, leisure and tourism with an interest in the Asia Pacific events/MICE industry
Postgraduate and PhD scholars who are studying programs in events management/MICE
Events/MICE management professionals who work for public and private sector organisations that are involved with the management and development of the events/MICE industry
7. Conference Venue
The venue for the conference will be the STP Bali Convention Centre.
8. Delegate Accommodation
Delegates will stay at either the STP Bali Resort Hotel or at a hotel in Nusa Dua.
9. Duration of the Conference
The conference will have two business days followed by an optional sightseeing
programme for delegates.
The dates for the conference are to be determined but no earlier than March
10. Financial Arrangements
STP Bali will agree with APIEM Events the costs STP Bali will incur in hosting the
conference. Upon successful completion of the conference and receipt of all
monies owing to APIEM Events a transfer of monies will be made from APIEM
Events to STP Bali.
11. Target Number of Delegates
The break-even point of the conference will be based on 50 full fee-paying
delegates registering for the conference, although it is hoped that 100 delegates
will register for the conference.
12. Conference Organisers
The conference organisers will be APIEM Events and the MICE & Events Dept at
The responsibilities of each partner will be:
1. To work with and support the STP Bali conference organising team in all aspects of organising the conference to ensure that it is organised professionally and results in high satisfaction from paper presenters and delegates. Professor David Hind will be the Conference Chair.
2. To work with the STP Bali conference organising team on determining the costs to be incurred in organising the conference and the conference registration fees to be charged in order for the conference to be self-financing.
3. To set the author guidelines for paper submissions.
4. To receive electronically the paper abstracts and submissions from paper presenters.
5. To work with the conference scientific committee to review abstracts that are submitted for the conference in order to determine which papers are included in the conference programme.
6. To prepare soft copies of the papers that are to be included in the conference so that memory data sticks can be prepared of the conference proceedings.
7. To work with the conference scientific committee to organise the programme for the conference and the content of the conference.
8. To allocate parallel session chairs to each of the parallel sessions and instruct the chairs on their roles.
1. To work with and support the APIEM Events conference organising team in all aspects of organising the conference to ensure that it is organised professionally and results in high satisfaction from paper presenters and delegates.
2. To work with the APIEM Events conference organising team on determining the costs to be incurred in organising the conference and the conference registration fees to be charged in order for the conference to be self-financing.
3. Specifically to:
promote the conference through social media marketing and the STP Bali website
seek conference sponsors
liaise with and book the venue for the conference and communicate with the conference venue on all aspects of hosting the conference
prepare the conference pack for each paper presenter and delegate to include: memory data stick of the conference papers; conference programme; conference souvenirs
provide student ambassadors to work as hosts at the conference for delegate registration and to accompany VIPs and Keynote speakers
design and analyse a conference evaluation form to be completed by paper presenters and delegates
organise airport transfers for delegates
organise transportation to/from the conference venue for delegates
organise a welcome dinner and gala dinner
organise a post-conference sightseeing programme of Bali for delegates
4. To work with the conference scientific committee to review abstracts that are submitted for the conference in order to determine which papers are included in the conference programme.
5. To work with the conference scientific committee to organise the programme for the conference and the content of the conference.
6. To identify and recruit VIPs for the conference.